Religion and the US Constitution
- Two clauses in the First Amendment of the US Constitution have made this extremely complex and contentious inAmerica:
- ‘the free exercise clause’ – no law prohibiting religion
- ‘the establishment clause’ – no law establishing a religion
Questions to consider for class discussion:
- The First Amendment is fairly explicit about religion. How does this protect the rights of the individual? Does it put too much into the hands of the federal courts?
- It is clearly an area that requires adjudication as the Courts cannot ignore it since it is so explicit in the Constitution – what difference would constitutional amendment make?
- Individual rights – gun control (jmgpolitics.wordpress.com)
- Individual Rights – Abortion (jmgpolitics.wordpress.com)
- Individual rights – capital punishment (jmgpolitics.wordpress.com)
- Individual rights – pornography (jmgpolitics.wordpress.com)